Tuesday, May 20, 2014

MS "Coast To Coast" Bike Tour

Last Saturday was one of my favorite days of the year: the 25-mile "Coast To Coast" Bike Tour for the Multiple Sclerosis Society. Through family, friends, corporate sponsors, and a couple of fund-raising events, "Team Mountain Fitness" raised over $1600 in contributions for the fight against MS. The day came up perfectly, sunny, in the high 60's, and not too much wind, considering we were riding along the Jersey Shore, from West Long Branch to Belmar, and back. Our team had 10 riders, and we rode pretty much as a group through the first half, before picking it up on the way home, and finishing in small tandems. I was personally proud as my sister and brother-in-law joined in on the ride this year, and my parents met us at the finish at the Monmouth University gymnasium. On the way home, me and another rider from the team averaged between 17 and 20-miles an hour, and I considered it a good "B-plus" workout. I was pleasantly surprised that my quads were tight on my seven-mile run the next day! After the long winter of training for the Long Branch Half-Marathon, the last few weeks have been a mix of running and cross-training, with the MS Ride certainly filling in the latter category. This time of year, there are many bike tours for a variety of charities. Think of doing one - for fitness, fun, and as a great way to help others!

No comments:

Post a Comment