Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"Undy 5000" For Colon Cancer Research

  Summer is my favorite time to race! My client schedule is a little lighter, which means I have a few more weekend mornings availiable, and my body isn't quite as beaten up. As a trainer, I like to participate in many of the exercises with the clients, so on many days, I'm doing six to eight hours of some forms of lunges, medicine ball throws, pull-ups, or push-ups. No complaints, I love it!
    For racing sharpness, however, those lunges and  box step-ups can get your legs fatigued. I try to stay away from them a day or two before I compete.
    On July 28th, I returned to my old stomping grounds of Long Branch and took part in the "Undy 5000," a 5-K race to benefit the Colon Cancer Research Alliance.
    The morning was humid (to my liking!), and the course was advantageous, out-and-back along the Long Branch boardwalk, totally flat. There was a crowd of about 400, many part of fund-raising teams.
     I bumped into an old friend, Gary Pierce, who won the Jersey Shore Marathon back in 1973 or so. He's always encouraging, and he pumped me up for a good effort.
     Blocking out my chronic Achilles pain, I got out amongst the lead pack, and got into that zone where you feel you're right at the top of your anaerobic threshold, but not surpassing it. There was a narrow "no passing" zone by Pier Village about a half-mile in where I held back a bit, then got by two people as soon as it opened up.
     The miles were marked, but had no timers there. I felt I was either running well, or running slow and thinking I was running well! I passed one or two more people in the second mile, still feeling strong, and mentally prepared myself not to let down in that third mile.
    I shortened up the final stretches in my head. "That ticket stand is probably at the 2 1/4 point. Hit Pier Village and there is only a half to go! Finally, the the finish line!" A mist spray from the Long Branch Fire Dept. helped make it through the final 1/4, and I hit the finish in 19:23.
   It was my best 5-K since turning 50 (nearly four years ago), and definitely encouraging.  My Achilles started throbbing the second I finished, but at least I was happy with the effort. I finished 10th overall, and second in the 50-59 age-group.
   I got a medal, and relaxed as I listened to the moving ceremony, with Colon Cancer survivors who ran the race. I had found a well-organized, fun new event and help support a very good cause.
  I stopped by at an old favorite greasy spoon, and had that "Jersey classic," a Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese on a hard roll. Then visited with a friend who's recovering from a bad heart scare, and made my way back home. A nice, summer morning!      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment