Friday, August 10, 2012

Lake Takanassee Race 2012

 Some of my favorite races have been at Lake Takanassee in Long Branch, including my personal-best 5-K of 17:01, set a few decades ago!
  While I've moved away from the Shore-area, I try to get there once a year, catch up with some old friends, and see how much I've lost, year-to-year!
   The paradox is, as I've slowed as I trudge through middle-age, the field at Takanassee, and many other races, is not as strong, for various reasons. I've been able to stay in the front pack in most local races, which increases my motivation, and keeps my times at a respectable level!
   Case in point was my race at "The Lake" on August 6th. I finished third overall in a crowd of about 150, which I certainly am not complaining about! My time was 20:02, which is average for me right now, and I'm a little bummed I couldn't shave off the three seconds to keep me in the 19 minute range!
    Early in the race, I was next to a couple of college-age runners, who looked pretty competitive. I gasped "what are you guys looking to run?" hoping we can stay together as a pack.
    One said, "This is just a training run." The other, "I'm just getting back into it," as they darted away from me.
    I didn't expect to see either one again, but surprisingly caught the one "just getting back into it" shortly after the mile mark, which I hit (somewhat uncomfortably) in 6:14. The guy out for the training run had separated himself, but was within eyesight. Shortly before the two-mile mark, I was able to catch him, and I hit that split in 12:39, still laboring somewhat.
    That gave me a 7:20 window for the last 1.1 to finish under 20-minutes, and I sensed it would be close.
I was in third-place now, but the two leaders were out of my view.
    Takanassee is a four-lap race, and by the second mile, you begin to lap some of the slower runners and racewalkers. You often can't see who is directly ahead of you. The effect is that of the late stages of a NASCAR race!
     I tried to push as hard as I could, but with no one around me, and the leaders out of my sightline, I may have begun to mentally waver a bit. The last half-mile features a bit of a hairpin turn along Ocean Ave., which cuts down on your momentum a bit. The three-mile mark read 12:25, and I sprinted as hard as I could, from  that point  to the finish chute.
     I probably had a look of disappointment as I saw the 20-minute mark on the clock. Staggering a few steps,  I checked my heart rate - 172 - slightly over my "recommended max" of 167. I guess I had given everything I had, anyway!
      It took a good five minutes to completely recover, which I use as a gauge of my race effort, so I was satisfied with that, as well. I did run into some old friends from Monmouth University and the Shore Athletic Club, some of whom I expected to see, and some not!
     A "blast from my past," and an overall fun night. It was a beautiful sunset as I was driving up the Parkway, I had the Phillies game on the radio, windows halfway down in the cool summer air - a nice way to spend a mid-summer evening!
    
       
        
     
        

No comments:

Post a Comment