Thursday, June 30, 2011

Millburn Presidents Cup 2011

One of my annual traditions is the Millburn President's Cup 5-K, held at night on the third Monday in June every year. It's grown into one of the largest races in the state, and always gets a real competitive field.
In addition, I grew up in the neighboring town of Springfield, nad always see people I grew up with. I also am a loyal patron of The Sneaker Factory, sponsor of the event,and usually get a little extra adrenaline with the big (1500-plus) crowd and night-time atmosphere. My son has run it the past few years as well, but had to pass it up this time, due to an eighth-grade graduation party.
My goal (as stated in my previous blog), was to get back in the 19-minute range, after a 20:17 finish in the Bob Beckert Run on June 6th. My parents, brother, and niece came down to cheer me on in this one, and my mind-set was positive going into it.
I lined up right in-between the six-minute and seven-minute pace signs, which, considering I wanted to run about 6:25 per mile, was proper. Once there, hundreds of runners, some considerably older than me, and many in thier pre-teens, squeezed in front of me. There were also corporate teams huddled there, with the entrants truly spanning the gamut of age and conditioning. I knew I'd have to fight through the crowd.
Sure enough, I weaved and elbowed my way through the start, with one man, easily in his 70's (with a pace to match) yelling as I squeezed past him in the mass of humanity. I didn't have the time or inclination to answer, but thought: "why did you start near the front of the race, then!"
As the participants weaved onto Millburn Ave., I finally was able to get (in NASCAR parlance) "clean air." I felt good, and told myself that no one will pass me, and I will try to pick off runners one at a time.
The first mile was a a somewhat disappointing 6:30, but my body felt fresh, with the chaos at the start perhaps saving some "fuel" (one more NASCAR referance)in my body. I trucked up the incline through Millburn center, able to keep with my "game plan."
I was happy with my two-mile split of 12:50, meaning my second mile was a 6:20, and I was still relatively fresh. I knew breaking 20 was feasible, if I kept my concentration and my form.
Millburn is a two-loop race, with the finish line about a 1/4 mile past the start. The first year I ran, I didn't realize that, timed my sprint a little early, and was really sucking wind as the finishing clock was not in sight!
By now, I'm familiar with it, and put on a "controlled" sprint at the end as I was pretty confident my goal was at hand. Sure enough,I crossed the line in 19:50 (heart rate at finish: 172), good for 115th overall. I'm used to winning my age-group now in most local races, but in this one, I wasn't even in the top three!
That's okay, though. I got the time I was looking for, my heart-rate was high enough to indicate I gave a total effort, and knowing there's that many good runners at my (late middle-aged) point of life will give me further motivation to keep up my training. Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment