Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bob Beckert Run 2011

One of my traditional races every year is the Bob Beckert Memorial 5-K at Watchung Hills High School, held on the first Sunday of June. It attracts between 200-300 local runners, including many kids on the Watchung Hills track and cross-country teams. Im a hot weather runner, and the temperature normally is in the high 70's to low 80's.
It's somewhat old-school, with no visible mile-markers or splits, so it's up to you to go out and "git r' done!"
This year, I couldn't run for the ten days preceding the race, as I was recovering from cataract surgery. Luckily, I was able to do the bike and elliptical, so I didn't feel I lost too much conditioning. Plus, I was in a good mood when the doctor told me everything was healing fine, and I could resume "normal" activity.
Coming off a half-marathon the previous month, I knew I would have to push the pace harder in a short race, and I feel I did, staying within sight of the lead pack most of the way. I passed a few of the high school kids, and no one overtook me, always a good sign that you are not "rigging." My focus was good, and no problems with legs, stomach, or any other areas.
I've done the race enough times to divide it into sections, and coming up the final long stretch on Mountain Ave., I was confident I was in the low to mid 19-minute range.
The race ends with a 1/4-mile steep incline up the high school parking lot. About halfway up, I heard the race announcer reading off "19:45, 19:46..." I knew I couldn't break 20 minutes at this point, but still took the hill hard and finished in 20:12, seventh overall and first in my (50-59 age-group). I took my heart rate about 20 seconds after finishing, and it read 167, so I knew I ran as hard as I could on this particular day.
No complaints, and it felt very appreciative that I was able to run so quickly after surgery. I'll get back in the "19:OO's" soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment