Monday, June 28, 2010

"ReRun" Mile at Monmouth Park


My son, Max, and I participated in an unusual, but fun and rewarding, race on June 27th. Called the "ReRun Mile" at Monmouth Park in West Long Branch, it was a one-mile race along the outside perimeter of the track at the "Shore's Greatest Stretch."

I placed third in a small field in the pedestrian time of 6:47, while Max took an age-group award in the 13-19 division with 8:24. The surface was interesting: not quite sand, but much looser and softer than the dirt on a baseball infield. Easy on your legs, but nearly imposssible to get much spring!

The race benefits charities for thoroughbred adoption, a very worthy cause, in my book. The hosptitality and amenities were first class, and runners and their families can spend the rest of the day at the track, which we did. In its second year, I would expect the race to pick up greater numbers every year. It's one I would look forward to doing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment