Monday, June 21, 2010

Creatine - Pros and Cons


I've always loved weightlifting and long-distance running, two seemingly contradictory activities. Done properly, and with the right goals in mind, they actually can supplement each other.

In my early 40's, I went through a stretch where I really concentrated on building up my absolute ( one-rep) strength, and hit a personal best of 240 lbs on the bench press, at 148 lbs.

bodyweight.

I also was taking creatine at the time, and feel (perhaps psychologically) that it helped my strength gains. I've since turned my focus back more to running and endurance-type strength training (like pull-ups and push-ups) and have taken creatine periodically during this period. It hasn't resulted in better absolute (one-rep) gains.

My conclusion: the strength trains I made were much more I byproduct of the way I was training, rather than the creatine.

Creatine is an amino acid compound that is produced in our bodies. In fact, our body produces the overwhelming majority of creatine stores one would have. It also can be obtained through diet, mostly red meats and fish. Creatine supplements are completely legal, and available at health food stores and elsewhere.

Creatine functions as an energy source, and is thought to improve short bursts of high-intensity exercise, like sprinting or heavy weight-lifting. It is not considered beneficial for long-distance or endurance events.

Since creatine supplementation only became popular about a dozen years ago, not much is known on it's long-term effects. Adverse reactions among users include muscle cramping, muscle strains, dehydration, and diarrhea, according to a recent article by Dr. Dennis Cardone of Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick.

It is recommended not to exceed the manufacturer's recommendation as far as dosages of creatine. It will not have any greater benefits, and can increase some of the negative effects mentioned above.

Dr. Cardone's article in The Star-Ledger (May 25, 2010) only recommends creatine be taken under supervision of a physician. He advises adolescents and children to stay away from it.

I would agree there, and as far as my own experience: it didn't hurt, but I'm not sure how much it helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment