Friday, August 25, 2017

Fall Workout Strategy

 The summer is nearing an end, and it's time to get back to the gym! The hardest part, sometimes, is coming up with a plan.
   When working with clients once or twice a week, I try to make sure we hit all the major body parts in every workout. We get the body warm with body weight lunges or core work, move on to large muscle groups like chest, glutes, and back; and then work down to more isolated movements for the arms, shoulders, and calves. We super-set just about everything, moving from one exercise to the other with minimal rest. Free weights, resistance bands, BOSU, stability, or medicine balls; kettlebells, body weight movements, TRX - we try to mix it up as much as possible. Three-minute sprints on the rower, treadmill, or bike are often included, as well as some boxing or martial movements to get the heart rate high. Balance is definitely part of the equation, especially with kids or seniors; and stretching and re-hab movements are also included.
   Philosophically, I feel the client has 45-minutes to an hour to make it happen. They don't want to hear me brag about my kids, talk about some marathon I ran years ago, or pontificate about the world. It's a waste of time, workout-wise! If someone has a personal issue and really needs to talk, we can make the workout a three-mile run, and get everything out then.
    When I'm working out with a friend, we tend to split body parts, go heavier, and rest longer then when I'm working with clients. We'll push each other through the last couple of reps, and add negatives, super slow motions, or pauses to shock the muscles. They're good "meathead" workouts, and I gauge it's intensity by how sore I am the next day, or by strength gains in ensuing days.
   While exercising on my own, the workout is more like I do with the clients. I do still split body parts, but go lighter, with more reps, and minimal rest. I usually follow each set with an ab exercise or 30 seconds on the speed bag to keep the workout moving, and myself focused. I experiment a lot with different movements and adjustments to things, and if it works, I'll try it with others.
    I try not to lose focus by getting in long conversations or texting. No matter my mood or energy level, I try to make each workout count, somehow. There's been times I've said to myself "You've been out here for an hour, have you really gotten anything out of it?" If the answer is "no," I'll throw in some type of body weight or lifting challenge to at least end the workout feeling like I've accomplished what I was looking for.
   Bottom-line, come into each workout with a plan. Is this a day you're going to improve your strength or endurance? Is it a "recovery workout" after a hard day before? Is rehabbing an injury the key goal?  Figure it out before-hand, so you're not disappointed in yourself, and try to exceed your expectations for the that day.  
       

No comments:

Post a Comment