Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Long Branch Half Marathon 2017

  After two years missed due to a torn meniscus and pulled hamstring, I was able to return to the the Long Branch Half-Marathon on April 30th.
  My finishing time, (1:44.48) was almost exactly what was predicted on my RunBayou performance chart (based on my recent 5-K times), and my training followed those methodical and safe guidelines. Made it to the finish (and more significantly, the start!) with no physical setbacks.
   The race was held under ideal conditions this year, mid 50's, no rain. I lined up with 1:45 pace group, and planned to stay with them, start to finish. With the big crowd of runners (over 8000, between the half and full marathon), I missed the first two mile-markers, and by the time I glanced at my watch, we were 20 minutes into it.
   I had a good amount of energy and adrenaline at this point, and was worried that the group may not have been keeping up the 8-minute mile average we needed to hit 1:45. I edged out in front of them, and settled in right in back of the 1:40 pack. Everything was copacetic for about five miles. which I hit in right about 39 minutes.
   I don't run with music, but each year, always seem to have a song repeating in my head. Being at the Shore, you think it would be something from Springsteen, but instead, randomly, it was The Ramones' "This Is Rock and Roll Radio!"
    Five through nine are the "dead miles" in a half-marathon. You shoot for various goals. Splits at every mile, of course, as well as the 10-K (48:28) and halfway times. However, the adrenaline has worn off, and in my case, a good deal of the energy had as well. I had a restless night's sleep the night before, and my body felt it. My times drifted into the 8:20's or so, per mile, and definitely, I was being passed more than vice-versa. There were a lot of turns, the wind picked up, and the 1:40 group faded out of view.
    I skip the water stops in the beginning, dump water over my head as we get into the meat of the race, and at last resort, turn to gulping down some Gatorade for a quick sugar rush/energy burst. With things fading on me, I resorted to the Gatorade by mile eight or so, and even mistakenly, dumped some over head, Bill Parcells-style. At this point, Parcells probably could have run a mile as fast as I was going!
   The sugar/salt combo helped, and I did feel a surge in my body after the Gatorade. Most importantly, by mile nine, I mentally righted the ship, "A four-mile run,"  I panted to myself. "How many times have you run four miles in your life?!"
    I focused on one or two runners in front of me who were going at a steady pace, and tried not to let them gain any yardage on me. At 10 miles, my clock read 1:20 and change, and I knew if I didn't fall apart completely, I'd reach the 1:45 goal I've been training the entire winter for.
     I missed the 11-mile marker, but knew once we hit the Long Branch boardwalk, it's a mile-and-a half of agony until the finish line. Shortly after the 12-mile marker, the 1:45 pace leader (an enthusiastic 20-something woman) was right with me. "One mile to go," she exhorted. "Drop the arms, keep the form together, and your there!"
    My pride took over as I edged passed her, briefly. She caught up, easily, and didn't let me slip back. My mind was playing endless games at this point. "Half a mile to go, make believe you're going all out on the treadmill!" "Oh man, I can't!" "Don't fall apart now!" Literally, every 10 seconds was a heated argument between my id and ego.
    We finally passed Pier Village and the finish line emerged. I kept it together for the last 1/4 mile, and finished just behind the pacer. As I staggered about after, an EMT grabbed my shoulder and asked if I needed help. "I think I look worse than I feel!"
     While the race was certainly uneven, I was satisfied with my overall time, and at least figured I gave everything I had, that day. The slow, two mile walk back to the Monmouth Park starting point is probably my peaceful hour of the year.  Still in my head? That one line: "This is Rock N' Roll Radio, featuring the Ramones!"    
   
   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment