Thursday, March 30, 2017

Cardio and Donuts

  If I had to choose my favorite  "junk food" snack, it would definitely be donuts. Dunkin' Donuts (toasted coconut or butternut) are my favorites, although the Krispy Creme glazed or chocolate frosted are excellent as well. At home, can't beat the Entemann's crumb!
   I don't indulge too often, but it's a tradition in our house that before every snowstorm, I stop at a Dunkin' on the way home and pick up a half-dozen to fortify me and my son through a day's worth of shoveling. My first marathon, the Jersey Shore in 1978, was held in December, in Asbury Park. My parents came down with a few dozen Dunkin Donuts and hot coffee for me and my friends. I must have had six that day!
   I was pleasantly surprised to find a tribute to the donut in the March edition of Bicycling Magazine.  The article, authored by Bettina Makalintal, detailed the best donut choices for cyclist, most of which can be applied to any other long-distance competitors.
   The cake donut was deemed the best choice, pre-ride. More dense then the yeasted donut, it supplies more carbohydrates to fuel a long ride. The old-fashioned was the best to bring along for a mid-ride snack, as it's sturdy exterior makes it less likely to break apart in a backpack.
    The glazed is the best for a "donut derby", which involves a lot of miles intertwined with a good deal of gluttony at various donut stops. The glazed donut is airy and not too sugar coated, which allows you more room for greater consumption.
    The maple-bacon is tops, post-ride, as the protein in the bacon topping will help with muscle repair. And the venerable Boston cream is considered number one as a ultra-long ride or run reward, with the high-fat filling sure to replenish lost calories.
     The article listed a number of locally-owned "bike friendly" donut shops across America, most owned by avid cyclists. The Northeast was represented by Gypsy Donut in Nyack, N.Y., and PVDONUT in Providence, R.I.
     There's also a listing of the favorite donut rides across the USA. The East Coast features the Lehigh Wheelmen Association Donut Derby in Trexlertown, Pa. It involves 36-miles on the road, with several stops in which each competitor stuffs down as many donuts as possible in three minutes. The 2016 winner, Yasir Salem, a competitive cyclist and eater, downed 58 donuts in the competition!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment