Thursday, December 15, 2016

"Old School" Nutrition

  My nutritional cabinet is decidedly "1980's." Met-Rx Protein Powder and Big 100 bars, "old school" Power Bars (love the new Vanilla Crisp flavor!), and Gatorade in the refrigerator for post-run replenishment.
   I also love my coffee, drink chocolate milk often, and even confess to buying beef jerky (Wild Bill's, from the Pennsylvania Dutch Country).
   I was happy to see almost all of these products touted in a recent Runner's World article, entitled "Classic Products That Still Get the Job Done," by Kelly Bastone.
   In fact, the only product not directly mentioned was Met-Rx, although the benefits of protein after a long run or workout was certainly cited. I've always liked the blend of proteins in the Met-Rx products, as well as the very palatable taste. I also recall reading an article years back that tested many of the top brands in a lab setting to see if their nutritional content matched their claims. In Met-Rx's case, it did, while other "flash in the pan" competitors came up short. Stick with tried and true!
   Concerning the other products, Gatorade was actually concocted by a former 4:20 miler by the name of Dr. Robert Cade. A the request of the University of Florida football coach, he suggested a mix of sugars, salt, potassium and phosphate that became the original Gatorade mix. The salt level has decreased since then, but Gatorade is still the gold standard in the $13 billion dollar sports drink industry.
   As far as coffee, I've loved it since I was a kid, when I would have it mixed generously with milk and sugar. Multiple cups of it got me through ten hour days of warehouse work as a teen, as well as a full college course load mixed with track and marathon training in college. I was very gratified  reading many studies that caffeine improved endurance in marathoners (no surprise, really!), and has proven to be a preventative product against diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
  Power Bars came on the scene in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Brian Maxwell, a top-ranked marathoner from Canada, invented it when experimenting with portable sources of carbohydrates that could prevent blood sugar levels from dropping late in races. Power Bars are a mix of oat bran, sugar, and protein, and first caught on popularity with Tour de France cyclists. There are hundreds of brands of bars, some more popular among strength athletes, and others designed for endurance athletes. The "Gu" gels have become popular for mid-race replenishment. My only suggestion: try them in a training run first!
   Chocolate milk is sort of boring, and the idea of a milk product directly after a run is somewhat counter-intuitive. However, multiple studies have shown that chocolate milk has an ideal 4:1 ratio of carbs to to protein, is quick, inexpensive, and hydrating. It goes along with the argument that whole foods can be as beneficial as things created in a lab. I have to say, for me, however, there is still something psychologically beneficial about tearing open a package of protein powder, pouring it into the blender with with some juice and other fruit, and churning it up. If I feel it's better for me, perhaps I will work out that much harder!
   Beef Jerky was the final product mentioned in the Runner's World article. And how healthy can a meat product that doesn't require refrigeration be? Yes, beef jerky is loaded with sodium, but it is a good source of low-fat protein, and low in calories. Basically, if it came down to potato chips or beef jerky, from a health perspective, the beef jerky probably wins.
   A quick aside: my son, who later became a high school runner, was a reluctant travel soccer player in his youth. To bribe him to play, I'd pick him up Wild Bill's shredded beef jerky (in the cans). My wife would ways be upset with me for it. I'm glad the product is among the "old school" favorites!    
         

No comments:

Post a Comment