Monday, June 27, 2016

Scotch Plains "Run To Summer" 5-K

   Sometimes, low expectations can be self-fulfilling. Other times, they can ease off internal pressure, which can lead to better results.
    That was the case at the first "Run To Summer" 5-K in Scotch Plains June 23rd. I was undecided about entering all day, as threatening skies and a low energy level, along with a late starting time (7:30 p.m.), all gave me reason to forego it.
     My reasons to run? Well, I had taken the previous day off, in anticipation of competing. There were a couple of members of our club running as well, and I wanted to show support. One, Sam Lamparello, owns MLB Mortgage, which was the main sponsor of the event.
       The rain finally fell at around 4 p.m., but was done by 5, which eliminated that excuse. I dragged myself there, and did manage to get into the energy of the event, which attracted nearly 500 runners.
       It was impossible to gauge my pace in the first mile. There were a ton of little kids darting in and out, and lots of older folk ahead of me, too! I wasn't even sure there were mile splits, but was pleasantly surprised to see a 6:53 reading at the first one.
      The key was to keep it together on the second mile. The course was all flat, just a lot of twists and turns around the small streets of the downtown area. I settled in back-and-forth with a couple of others, and hit two miles in 14:03. Okay, I thought, "Don't fall apart and you might break 22 minutes."
    Sure enough, one hill did appear in the third mile, but I glanced at my watch every couple of minutes and mentally just shortened up the distance. "16 minutes? Okay, about six minutes of pain left!"
   I tried to keep some semblance of form, and got rejuvenated when I saw area that I recognized as "somewhere near the finish."
   There was a sign at the 3-mile mark (helpful!), and I glanced at my watch - 21:04. "Okay, 56 seconds this last .1 to break 22!"
    I hobbled as hard as I could and was satisfied to see 21:54 on the clock, my  first race under 22 this calendar year, and 33rd in a field of 488. At least now, with a variety of injuries plaguing me through the winter, I bested my worst times of last summer. Full "speed" ahead!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment