Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Value of Sleep

  We visited our son at college in New Hampshire last weekend. It was a great family time with both of our kids (our daughter is working in Boston).
   Of course, I have to keep up my workouts, no matter the time squeeze or level of fatigue from five-plus hours on the road! Friday, I planned a cross-training day and got in a decent one, an hour on the Precor elliptical, in which I covered just over six miles at varying grades.
    Saturday, I planned on running. I got a good night's sleep (those long hours driving probably helped!) and hit the treadmill at the hotel gym at 6:30 a.m. I knocked out five one-mile repeats, with my speed ranging from 8.0 to 9.2, and the grade shifting anywhere from 1 to 5 percent. The speed wasn't all out, so I limited the rest to .2 miles, rather than my customary quarter-mile jog. My heart rate peaked at 151, and my long-sleeve shirt was soaked in sweat.
     Inspired, I planned to do the treadmill again Sunday morning, perhaps two three-mile intervals at half-marathon pace, or something along those lines. We had some down time during the day, and I took a half-hour nap in the late morning, and another 45-minute snooze in the late afternoon.
     I also had regular tea after dinner, and a sugary dessert (okay, two Reese's peanut-butter cups!), no doubt spiking my blood sugar. I fell asleep about 10, and woke up at 2, my body and mind both working at full blast.  Reading probably would have helped, but I didn't want to awaken my wife, so I just laid there, tossing, turning, shifting, and essentially waiting till morning. I did fall asleep briefly and lightly. I know that because I had a very vivid dream that you only remember in a half-conscious state.
   I got out of bed at 6:30 (late for me!), and my mind and body were too groggy to push out an intense treadmill workout. Back on the elliptical I went, and with greater effort matched the time and distance I did on Friday. My run was postponed till Monday, but I did compensate with a good session of hills.
  Sleep definitely effects your workout intensity. I wake up at 4 a.m. five days a week (and at five on the weekends), so I haven't slept eight hours a night in decades  Also, drinking as much water as I do, and being 57, I'm up a few times a night to hit the bathroom. If I fall right back to sleep, I'm good. If my mind starts racing, I'm finished, and the next day I'm less focused and forgetful, and generally in a agitated mood. My workouts are also not as productive.
   Thousands of hours are spent on sleep research, and millions of dollars are spent on natural and medicinal sleep enhancers. Everyone needs a different amount, but the key seems to be consistency in bed and waking times, and being careful with dietary intake (such as the caffeine and sugar mentioned above!) before bedtime. Find what works for you, and, please, let me know!


         

No comments:

Post a Comment