Thursday, June 4, 2015

Workout Recovery

  Two days ago, I had a great treadmill workout: One mile easy, 10 x 800-meters, all at grade 3, ranging from 8.0 at the start to 9.0 at the finish, with a 400 meter jog in-between. Over eight miles in total, a total of five intensely, with my heart-rate peaking at 163. I was about to do some post-workout massage on the foam roller when the phone rang, a five-minute conversation ensued, and the muscles turned cold. Most imperatively, it was 5:30 p.m., and I had to get home for dinner!
   Yesterday, predictably, I couldn't run. My right knee was slightly swollen, and I felt discomfort in the right hip. I got in 45-minutes (13.5 miles) on the recumbent bike (a decent sweat!), and I'll be okay for running again today.
    Bottom-line,. I had delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), and due to time constraints, didn't take the steps to alleviate it.
   The Washington Post syndicate had a recent article on the subject, quoting Victor Ibrahim, a team physician for the D.C. United soccer team, and fitness author and running coach Matt Fitzgerald.
   Fitzgerald explained that higher impact activity (like treadmill sprints) causes more damage, because of the eccentric (lengthening) strain of the movement. Further, the quads resist the stretch when the foot lands to keep the knee from buckling. This innate movement (a runner has no idea this is happening on every stride!) pulls the muscle in two directions at once, causing microscopic muscle fiber tears and delayed onset soreness. That's why I couldn't run yesterday!
   To prevent the soreness, Dr. Ibrahim recommends a cool down after every workout; light running, stretching, foam roller.
   If you have DOMS, try alternate exercise the next day, like swimming or biking, rather than complete rest. Try to stay away from more pounding on the body.
   Nutritionally, the article recommends foods high in anti-oxidants (stay natural, lots of fruits and vegetables), as well as protein and caffeine. Anti-inflammatories help in pain reduction, but not in long-term muscle repair. Be careful here, too: I lived on anti-inflammatories for a couple of months after a torn meniscus last summer to keep running, and ended up with elevated liver enzymes. I went cold turkey for four months, and my liver numbers returned to normal.
    Massage and foam rolling are definitely recommended, and Dr. Ibrahim suggest heat, in the form of heat packs, hot shower, or hot tub, to increase circulation.
    Also, I tell clients all the time, don't be afraid of muscle soreness. It shows that your muscles are breaking down to rebuild themselves stronger - in other words, you are working hard!
 
   

   
     
   .  

No comments:

Post a Comment