Friday, May 1, 2015

Running Form

  Running is perhaps the most natural movement in the world. Little kids do it constantly, arms and legs flailing, cushioned by barely worn-in joints and cartilage. Soon, computers and video games, or other forms of recreation take the place of running around in the backyard. Those who choose to run are driven by competition, weight loss, longevity, fitness, or internal factors like the endorphin release that running provides in many of us.
   Form becomes a factor in improving performance and avoiding injury. My own form varies, depending if I'm outside or on the treadmill. On the roads, I'm a supinator, which means I land on the outside of my heel with every foot strike, and push forward ("heel-toe method"). Inside, I tend to land on my forefoot more, and push off from there. I can tell this by the mirror test, and the wear of my running shoes. In the summer, when I run outside, the back right corner of my shoes break down first. In the winter, when most of my miles are done indoors, it's the front of the foot that goes first.
   When buying running shoes, bring in your old pair to show the store clerk. Depending on your wear pattern, different brands or models may be preferred, depending on the amount of stability and cushioning you need.
    Possibly because of my obsessive-compulsive nature, my running form, particularly in races, can seem like someone wasting a lot of energy in arm and head movement. I'm conscious of it, try to avoid it, but in the midst of competition or fatigue, resort to flailing around and gasping for breath.
     Ideally, all your motion should be directed forward, with your arms about waist-level. They shouldn't swing past the mid-point of your body, and arms should be forward-directed, not side-to-side.
    Going uphill, use your arms a bit more, and look ahead and slightly upward, as if you were on the rope pull on the bunny slope at a ski resort. Downhill, lean forward slightly and drop the arms. Don't put the brakes on! You can make up valuable time by pushing the downhills. There's not as much danger of falling as most people perceive.
    A friend of mine once gave the advice of making believe you were holding 3 lb. weight in each hand. I couldn't believe that it could make you faster, but when I tried it, it actually improved my 5-k time by about 30 seconds.
    Finally, try not to thump too hard on the ground. Your losing your "push-off," and increasing your chances of injury by landing hard. It's easy to gauge this on the treadmill, where you can actually hear when your  stomping into the machine's belt with every stride - it's harder to judge outside. Logically, however, the more time the feet are on the ground, and the harder you land, will slow you down!
    Use the mirror and your shadow as guides, and you can do a stride analysis at many running stores.
Everyone has their own running style, and a major makeover, particularly after someone has been running one way for many years, can actually increase the chance of injury. However, a little refinement can go a long way, saving valuable seconds in a 5-K or minutes in a marathon. I know!
        

No comments:

Post a Comment