Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Can You Run Too Much?

I've been running since I was 15 years old, exactly 40 years ago. It started out as prepararatory for boxing, which I loved (but did not love me) in high school. Five miles in work-boots, through the heavily traffic on the roads of Union County. In college, I began to run for running's sake. I competed on the cross-country and track teams at Monmouth College in West Long Branch, and ran a number of marathons, with a best of 2:43 at the Jersey Shore Marathon in 1980. I did Boston as well, completing it it in 2:44 in 1981. At that time, there were many weeks I accumulated over 100 miles, and I pretty much averaged 70 miles per week through my college and immediate post-college years. Out of boredom and the sense of new challenges to conquer, I turned to triathlons and heavy weight-training in my late 20's, and cut my mileage back to around 25 per week. I've evolved back into running, which is what I think I do best. I run the Long Branch Half-Marathon each year, as well as numerous 5-K's and the occasional multi-event. My high-school aged son has taken to it as well, and I think that has helped keep my own spark going. Simply put, running has been an integral part of my life for a long time. I know the health benefits, and see it every time I receive my "report card" from my Physician every year. Low cholesterol and blood pressure, and sodium and glucose levels well within check. My weight (approximately 140) has not changed in 20 years. However, a recent article syndicated in the Star-Ledger newspaper has caused me to take pause. A study, conducted by cardiologist James O'Keefe at St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, found that men who were marathon runners for 25 years had 62% more plaque buildup in their coronary arteries than sedentary men of the same age, with similar charecteristics. Unbelievably, that even included the soft, fatty plaque more likely to cause a heart attack! The conclusion was that running in moderation is, undoubtedly, beneficial to heart health. However, years of the high-mileage that marathoning requires can create wear and tear on the heart which may be, ultimately,counter-productive to longevity. In other words, 60 miles of running may not be three times healthier than 20 miles of running. One question I would ask: Is the intensity of the miles the main factor, or the sheer number of them? Also, if you do competitive biking, swimming, or rowing through your adult life, would that be equally as stressful on the heart, or is there something to the pounding the body takes in the act of running? I think the study, available in Missouri Medicine, the Journal of the the Missouri State Medical Association, certainly deserves a longer look. Okay, time for my run. I have a half-marathon this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment