Monday, October 14, 2013

Tunnel To Towers Run 2013

This was the third consecutive year running the Tunnel to Towers Run for my son, Max, my brother-in-law, Andy, and I. Once again, the day (Sun., September 29th) came up perfectly, and the experience matched it. Imagine over 25,000 people: firefighters from across the country; representatives from all branches of the military; police; Wounded Warriors, and ordinary citizens united in a single cause: remembering the heroes who died on 9/11 and ensuing wars, and most specifiically,the Stephen G. Siller Foundation. After the Boston Marathon bombings, additional security measures were in place this year: no bags or backpacks of any kind allowed, and all pre-race clothing and valuable can only be stored in clear plastic bags, which you can retrieve at the finish. Firemen and soldiers used to take pride in running in full gear: unfortunately, that's a thing of the past. The toughest part for us is the logistics of the early-morning trek from Somerset County, N.J., into Manhattan, and ultimately, to the starting line on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel. We managed that by grabbing the 6:20 PATH from Newark, and following the crowd to the awaiting ferries at Pier 11 for the boat ride past the Statue of Liberty and into the "Borough of Kings." We actually made it up to nearly the front of the starting pack, and Max, planning to use it as a tough Sunday workout, wiggled to the actual first row. I planned to run comfortably (not hard), but got caught up in a good pace, because for the first time, I was not crowded around hundreds of others in the tunnel. Wearing a light jacket with my keys, wallet, phone, and change, I vascillated between pushing the effort and just enjoying the experience. I guess I'm like an old dog, and couldn't help myself - I had to try and run hard. My breathing was actually somewhat labored in the narrow confines of the tunnel, and I was trying to remember how long that part of the run actually was (1.7 miles, to be exact). Third time running it, I still felt a tingle of emotion as you exit the tunnel and see the FDNY officers in full dress uniforms lining the route, each holding a picture of a fallen brother from 9/11, and the Stars and Stripes. Marching bands and cheerleading squads from area high schools line the remainder of the route, and the finish line, at Ground Zero, is packed with spectators. I had no clue what my finishing time would be, but was not disappointed when it read 22:17. I knew I was running hard when a volunteer near the finish asked if I was okay! My heart rate watch verifyed it: 163. Max actually ran a 19:40, and was featured for about 10 seconds racing with another young runner on WCBS-TV. The aftermath is a sea of runners and supporters: West Point and Coast Guard Academy cadets, London firefighters, you name it. There's a load of free food and drink (from donuts and coffee to ribs and beer), and a lot of FDNY and NYPD hats and t-shirts on sale, all to benefit charity. We left shortly after the race, but my parents and thousands of others hung around to listen to the bands and speeches from various 9/11 survivors, politicians, and military leaders. It's a day of pride to be a "New Yorker," and an American!

No comments:

Post a Comment