Tuesday, June 11, 2013

MS BIke Ride 2013

   Every year, members of my health club and I participate in the "Coast the Coast" 25-Mile Bike Ride for the Multiple Sclerosis Society, held the third Saturday of May.
   The ride starts at my old college, Monmouth University in West Long Branch, winds through the side streets of Monmouth County to Spring Lake, and returns up Ocean Avenue through Belmar, Asbury Park and other well-known Shore points.
   While there are some very serious riders participating, it is a non-competitive event, with people of all ages and abilities out on various types of bikes, raising money for a great cause. I am happy to say that "Team Mountain Fitness" raised over $1800 and had a strong showing of 12 riders!
    Since age eight, my son, Max had always participated, but his year could not due to a conflict with a track meet. However, my brother-in-law, Bill, and nephew, Daniel, joined in for the first time, and it was good to have the family representation.
   The weather forecast looked great, but like most days this Spring in New Jersey, dawn brought clouds and mist. Luckily, the skies held up for us, as "Team Mountain Fitness" embarked together on our ride.
   The ride down was leisurely, and at the halfway point, all the riders stop for juice and protein bars provided by the MS Society. The comraderie on this day is really special, as everyone mingles and takes pictures. It is a day that holds true to the Mark Twain saying, "There are no strangers. Just friends you haven't met!"
   I pick up the pace on the return trip, and my quads get a good workout as I push my Trek hybrid bike against the wind as we head back north along the ocean. I try to get back in time to get off my bike and take pictures of the rest of our group as they finish. We eat lunch at the college gymnasium, and just beat the rain which comes soaks the state the rest of the weekend.
   One of my favorite days of the year!
         
 

No comments:

Post a Comment