Monday, March 21, 2011

Exercise Improves Brain Power

When I did long runs in college, I often formulated term papers or reviewed test material in my head as I ran. I knew that the run helped organize both my time and my mind to the tasks ahead. And, I am proud to note, I was awarded the Thomas J.Kelsey Scholar/Athlete award at Monmouth College way back in 1980!
A new study published in the January issue of Health Psyschology backs this theory up. In a study conducted by clinical pschologist Catherine Davis of Georgia Health Sciences University, overweight, sedentary kids who started to exercise regularly improved on IQ test scores, in math skills, and in cognitive planning skills.
"We knew exercise was good for you," Ms. Davis was quoted as saying. "but we didn't have good evidence (before this) that it would help children do better in school."
While the study focused on overweight youngsters (171 randomly chosen children, 7-11 years old) she feels normal-weight kids would see the same benefit from the physcial activity.
The children were divided into three groups. One exercised vigorously (jumping rope, hula hoops, running games) for 40 minutes. Another group did similar activity for 20 minutes, and the third stayed sedentary. The program focused on "fun" rather than "competitive" activities, which I believe is key for youngsters uncomfortable or unfamiliar with sports.
Those who exercised for 40 minutes had a 3.8 point improvement in cognitive planning skills on their IQ tests. The 20-minute group also improved, but not as much. There was no additional academic instruction provided to any of the groups.
The conclusion: kids intuitively will run, jump, and climb if given the opportunity. When slumped in front of a television or computer for hours on end, lethargy sets in: of the body and the mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment