Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Exercise and Alzheimer's Prevention

Probably the scariest disease is Alzheimer's. First the short-term memory goes, and you're forgetting phone numbers and where you put your keys. Eventually, family members become unrecognizable, you lose control of your bodily functions, and your mind just totally fails you. A nightmarish end for anyone.

A book by Harvard University psychiatrist John Ratey titled "Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain states that "exercise, even begun in middle age, can push back the cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer's by 10 to 15 years."

Ratey cites research that indicates the regions of the brain associated with cognitive functioning improved with exercise, particularly the hippocampus, which is associated with memory and learning.

Other researchers back up Ratey's thesis, although many believe that any activity that involves functioning of the brain, like crossword puzzles or interesting books, will have similar effects. Social interactions like clubs or religious services also were mentioned. Social isolation and depression, along with alcohol, are certainly factors that can speed up the onset of Alzheimer's.

Logically, when I'm on a run, particularly outside, my mind opens up, and I know I am thinking much more clearly. Inside runs on the treadmill don't have quite the same effect, although I feel great mentally after either one. Innately, I know I am helping my mind as well as my body. Most science seems to back this up!

No comments:

Post a Comment